Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Naked Candle

Thanks to those of you at my birthday bash on Saturday. I know a lot of you read this blog, like Hardingfele, Banjo Player, Luxuli, Anna Banana II, and Jilly Moose, and of course our wonderful host, Richard Bonomo. Isn’t he fantastic? Let me give a shout-out to his sous-chefs Anna Banana II and Luxuli as well. And thanks to everyone who brought food and gifts. It was a great time! I’ll admit certain people who do not read this blog did take the game “Man Bites Dog” a little too seriously, but most of us enjoyed it. And… a hot air balloon ride?!? Wow!! Thanks, everyone!

So now life goes back to normal and I am no longer the Queen for the Day. How quickly today reminded me of that; I went to have a crown redone on my back tooth, and they decided it was too far gone and the best solution was to pull it. Believe me, I don’t like parting with teeth if I don’t have to – I put off having my wisdom teeth removed for years – but that’s how I got into this situation in the first place. A wisdom tooth I left in too long grew in sideways and put a dent in the root of the very molar I now no longer have, and that became decayed. Sad to think my poor tooth would not have suffered extraction if I had gotten the other ones removed promptly, but I have never understood why I would have teeth I didn’t need. They tell me I won’t need an implant since the upper molar meets up with the tooth in front of the extracted one. Yes, I have a very crooked bite. They talked about fixing it when I was a kid but ended up taking out my top bicuspids, so this is far from the first permanent tooth I have lost.

You may be saying to yourself, Famous Hat, none of this has anything to do with the title of your blog post. How right you are. That was a phrase Kathbert uttered Friday night at the Lutheran Cathedral Epiphany Potluck, Burning of the Greens, and Service. We each grabbed a small white candle in a plastic holder, but she insisted on taking hers out of the holder. “I want a naked candle!” she proclaimed. I said that would make a great blog post title, and so here it is.

Famous Hat

No comments: