Monday, January 23, 2012

My Rules for Skiing

I hope all 5.8 of my regular readers had an excellent weekend. I took advantage of the fresh snow and went cross-country skiing with Hardingfele yesterday. There are two rules I must always follow when skiing:

1. I must fall down at least once.

2. And it must be in front of an audience.

In that spirit, I was skiing down a small hill as two people walked up it, and as I swerved to avoid them, I totally fell down. Of course they were all worried: “Are you okay?” but the only thing injured was my pride. Then I heard Hardingfele holler from somewhere far ahead: “Are you okay?” so I had to holler back that I was FINE. Then I had some trouble getting back on my feet on the hill. Finally I skied over to Hardingfele, who asked if I broke anything. No, no, just fine. So we skied back toward the car, but I was really tired by then and BIFF I went down on a straight part of the path right in front of the road so who knows how many cars saw me. This truly mystified Hardingfele: “How did you fall THERE?”

I’m just that good, darn it.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Catherine Arnott Smith said...

So tell us, are you OK? (from the last fall, i mean!)

Famous Hat said...

I damaged nothing during that fall, or when I subsequently fell on the sidewalk while walking, not skiing. Hey, it was icy.