Thursday, April 18, 2013

All Day Conference


Yesterday I was at an all-day conference and attended classes on etiquette, communication, personality traits, and body language. They fed us well, and it was fun to have a day off of work, but the classes really were the best part. I could use some remedial instruction in body language! The speaker told us if you spend two minutes in the Power Pose (think of Wonder Woman with her hands on her hips), you actually feel more powerful and your confidence soars. I am willing to try it – what do I have to lose but two minutes standing in a silly pose? And I’m passing this tip on to all my readers too, many of whom are women, since we women tend to stand and sit in poses that make us feel less powerful and confident. Another power pose is to raise your hands over your head as if you have just won an Olympic event. I could go on and on about the etiquette of handshakes and voice mails but will not bore my readers with too much detail unless it is demanded. The interesting thought I will leave you with is from the Communication class: you start with a set of facts, you tell yourself a story about it, that makes you feel a certain way, and then you act a certain way. You cannot change the facts, so the place to make the change is the story you tell yourself. That will change your feelings and ultimately your actions. As the speaker says, this isn’t an easy thing to do, but it’s worth trying.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

The etiquette of handshakes should be scrapped. They are vectors for disease. The Japanese have the right idea, bows. I can stand in my wonder woman pose all day and the kid and cat will simply ignore it

Famous Hat said...

Business etiquette is moving away from the handshake, and it's always fine to decline.