Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Nylon Stocking Rant


Why did anyone ever think nylons were a good idea? I never wear them, except today, when I wore a skirt and wanted to look particularly professional. It only took a few minutes to remember why I never wear them. At least they didn’t run, but they are remarkably uncomfortable. This got me to thinking: where did the idea that women should wear nylons originate? Blaming men is too simplistic, though they of course may not be entirely innocent in this matter. I am guessing that silk stockings became popular when skirts got shorter, more for warmth than anything, but silk stockings run so nylon stockings became all the rage. People rarely wear them anymore, I’ve noticed, because we all find them so uncomfortable, and anyway they do still run, if not quite as badly as silk stockings. Hopefully they will come up with a better stocking at some point, or else I will do what the college kids do and just wear tights next time I wear a skirt on a cool day. Is there an age limit on wearing tights?

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

Why not use socks -- long, comfy, warm, socks?

Famous Hat said...

For a job interview? That would not look professional enough.