Monday, June 10, 2013

New Job

It's hard to say how my new job is going to go. You know how it is at the start: everything seems overwhelming. Also, the person who is going to train me was out today, so other people were showing me things. I did enjoy running across the street for a lunch of steamed mussels - beats eating lunch at the cafeteria! I am most intrigued by an article published in one of the Press's journals. It uses the word "epistemology" constantly and discusses how "hued" and "hewed" sound the same. The piece of literature being critiqued is an 80-page poem that seems to exist solely for the purpose of being analyzed. Silly me, I thought poetry was supposed to be language that sounded beautiful. Of course it should have deeper meaning as well, but I always took issue with those poems that had to have footnotes every other word just to explain all the allusions. Maybe I am not truly a poet at heart but a lyricist; I want to say what I mean in the most beautiful language possible, not make obscure references.

Famous Hat

No comments: