Monday, June 17, 2013

Wisconsin Beer Fest



What a beautiful weekend. Friday night Travalon and I went to Macha Tea House for macha lattes, then we went to Crandall’s for their baked haddock, and then we went to hear a Hungarian folk group at the Brink Lounge. They had a violinist, two violists, a bassist, and a guy playing a thing that looked like a hammer dulcimer. There were also two dancers in the traditional costumes of various regions of Hungary. It was a very fun show, and I saw some people there I knew from various musical circles.

Saturday morning my band had a gig at the Famer’s Market, right in front of the Capitol. Then I drove with my mandolin to Travalon’s house, and then we went to his mother’s house and ate lunch on the back terrace amid the blooming roses. I played the mandolin for them, and Travalon’s mother sang along. Then Travalon and I went to a Beer Fest in Milwaukee, with a bunch of different Wisconsin breweries represented. (Plenty from Madison!) It was all the beer you could sample and all the food from different restaurants, like Andouille sausage sliders and mini burgers and all sorts of cheese. They gave us each a small glass for sampling, and whenever anyone broke a glass by accident, everyone said, “Ohhhh!!” with great disappointment. There was an oompah band playing, and lots of people had homemade necklaces of pretzels on string, so it felt like Germanfest all over again.

Yesterday Ma and Pa Hat came through town on their way back from Ma Hat’s college reunion, so I met them for lunch at a Mexican restaurant near Richard Bonomo’s house. Rich, Luxuli, and her husband came along as well.  My parents mostly behaved, but they did tell one strange story about how I was furious with them for dropping me off at college. I don’t remember behaving as badly as they claim, although I was mad that they were so gleeful to get rid of me. Parents – can’t live with them, and isn’t the weather beautiful?

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Travalon said...

The beer served at the beer fest was strictly micro and craft brews, no domestic Wisconsin brewed stuff like Miller, Pabst, or Miller Lite allowed, this was a good thing ! I thought the best tasting beer was the Strawberry Ale from the Delafield Brewhaus,right down the road from where I live. The best little burgers came from Sprecher brewery in Milw.

Famous Hat said...

The strawberry beer was really good, and so was the apple-peach cider.