Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wedding Dance Class


Saturday was a gorgeous day, so Travalon and I drove to Mineral Point and walked on the bike path. It’s actually an old railroad bed, and ATVs are allowed to drive on it, so we had to keep watching out for those. We took Rodney the Poodle on a long walk before having lunch at the local brewpub, where they have the best walnut burgers and corn soufflés. (You get one side with the burger, so I always get the soufflé.) Travalon had the pesto salmon sandwich, which was also really tasty, and the brewpub is already serving up their summer shandy, a light beer with lemonade, so that’s what we had to drink. Then we took a walk downtown and stopped into the Grey Dog Café for some iced coffee, in my case, or soda in Travalon’s case. Then we drove to New Glarus and walked around the downtown there. We couldn’t really go into any stores with Rodney, so we sat outside at Puempel’s (pronounced “pimples,” I kid you not) and watched all the tourists walking around. There were a surprising number from other countries. I wonder if they think New Glarus is typical of Wisconsin? It’s probably not typical of Switzerland, either, but that’s how I always think of it.

Sunday Travalon suggested we take a dance class to prepare for our wedding, so off to the Union we went. There were plenty of other couples in the class, although Travalon said that online it looked like there was still a lot of room available. The perky instructor taught us the foxtrot (which should work well for our first dance), the waltz, and the two-step. All simple dances, so hopefully we can get the hang of them well enough to not totally embarrass ourselves on the dance floor. I used to be in the University ballroom dance club, but that was years ago, and this may have been Travalon’s first dance class ever. At least nobody expects us to do a choreographed routine…

Monday and Tuesday I had a cold and slept in instead of going to UGGH Club, but today I went with my iPod, in case the others couldn’t make it. I did not have enough energy to do 30 minutes on the elliptical, so I cut it short at 20, plus the ear buds kept falling out of my ears. How do people keep them in? Is there some secret I’m not privy to? At home I listen to the iPod with big old skool headphones that sound glorious. The sound coming from the ear buds was pathetic, when they were even in my ears. So much for exercising with the iPod, unless I work up the nerve to wear the big old headphones to UGGH Club. Maybe it’s so early in the morning that nobody will notice how uncool they are.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Travalon said...

I'm glad we took the dance class, and I've been practicing the steps here and there ( in private of course, don't want to look like John Cleese doing the Ministry of Silly walks in the Monty Python sketch) It was also nice to get in that relaxing Saturday going to Mineral Point and New Glarus. Maybe that was a reward for getting most of the wedding stuff in place ahead of time, instead of putting it off and scrambling, being in a time-crunch.

Famous Hat said...

It is very nice just sitting back and watching things fall into place that we did months earlier.