Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Back to Irish Class


Yesterday was my first day of Irish class this semester, and boy am I rusty! Although I was pleasantly surprised at how much I had retained. You know how it is, you plan to keep up with your studies all summer, but there is just so much to do outside, and the last thing you want to do is sit at a computer doing grammar exercises. I keep meaning to listen to the language CDs in my car, but let’s face it, in a traffic jam it’s so much more satisfying to listen to hip hop than someone blathering in a language you don’t really understand. All this is to say that I could have kept up with my Irish studies this summer, but instead I went boating a lot. The other guy who took the class last year was sick after his Labor Day vacation, but a new guy was there who had learned most of his Irish from the same online program (Duolingo) that I meant to use, so I wasn’t alone. The rumor is that a fourth guy is going to join the class too. Anyway, the beauty of this city is that you can find almost anything here, from ukulele classes to Irish classes, and I have dabbled in a lot, but I haven’t really mastered anything, except maybe blogging. Perhaps this year I will really buckle down and try to master Irish.

Famous Hat

No comments: