Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Pawpaw Feast


In one of those weird coincidences that always happen in my life, Richard Bonomo mentioned on Sunday evening that he was thinking of planting pawpaw trees in his backyard, since he had heard that they are very hearty and the fruit is nutritious and delicious. I professed to not knowing anything about pawpaws other than having heard of them, but wouldn’t you know that yesterday one of my coworkers brought a whole bunch of pawpaws into work, so I got to try one. And they are delicious! I don’t know how to explain them: a little like a mango, a little like a persimmon, maybe a little like a banana. You would think they are a tropical fruit, with their custard-like flesh and big seeds, but they grow quite happily around here. Today my coworker brought more pawpaws, because his neighbor has a bumper crop of them this year, so we feasted on them again. I’m not sure how much longer this will go on, but I will certainly enjoy it while it lasts! Pawpaws do not last more than a couple of days, so you have to eat them while they’re fresh. I did snag one for Rich, so he can decide if he wants to plant pawpaw trees in his yard.

Did everyone watch that game last night? I really enjoyed it, because unlike the Badgers blowout, Kansas City put up a good fight before our Pack defeated them. I am optimistic about this season, because Rodgers has never looked better, and Lacy and Cobb were amazing last night too, plus our defense was better than it has been some years. Maybe this is the year the Packers go all the way!

Famous Hat

No comments: