Monday, February 29, 2016

Another Fine Lenten Weekend


Another fine Lenten weekend, and Travalon and I went for fish fry. We had sort of left Friday evening open because it was Prairie Man’s birthday, but nothing materialized, so we headed to St. Peter’s in Ashton for their fish fry. However, the line was unbelievably long so we went to a new place in Middleton called Max’s Farm Fresh Table, because Travalon had read a good review of it in the Isthmus. Max himself came out to say hi and even gave us chocolate chip cookies! We are intrigued by other things on the menu, so we will be back.

Saturday Travalon had to work, so I met Rich and a woman from Colombia for coffee, and Jilly Moose and OK Cap soon joined us. We Rosary Ladies went to SERRV, the fair trade store, where I stocked up on earrings, and then we prayed a rosary in the library of my church. Tiffy came to visit, and she, Travalon, and I had a late lunch at Nau-Ti-Gal, then we went for a walk to enjoy the glorious day. In the evening Travalon headed to Milwaukee to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band called Zoso, while Tiffy and I went to the Union Theater to see a Baroque music concert by a group called Red Priest. They were not the most orthodox musicians, but I am no purist, so I enjoyed their Toccata and Fugue in D Minor played on four instruments, as well as their reductionist version of parts of Messiah. The group consisted of a violinist who is also a Cape Breton fiddler (and so he threw in gigs and reels at random times), a recorder player who had a dizzying variety of instruments, including a harmonica, a cellist who was the only woman in the group, and a harpsichordist. I got the tickets as a thank you for donating to our local radio station.

Sunday I went to Mass alone, since Travalon had stayed at his friend’s house and gone to Mass at his old childhood parish. Since he had been sick the week before, people were afraid he was REALLY sick, but I said no, he’s fine, just out of town. Rich and I went to brunch with the choir, then he examined my car Noelle because she is making a really funny sound, but he determined it is nothing serious. In the late afternoon Travalon and I went to our friends' house and played that game again where I am a bard named Iconostasia, and apparently I am also a killing machine, because I quickly dispatched two guys and an orc. Since I had eaten like a pig, I had to run through the whole Badger basketball game (which Travalon had taped) and most of the Republican debate to burn off all those calories. It may sound crazy, but I do really like running in place while watching TV with Travalon. Maybe someday I will even get in shape from doing it…

Famous Hat

No comments: