Monday, February 25, 2019

International Festival 2019



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Travalon and I had a quiet Friday evening. Since the weather wasn’t terrific, we just walked to Mariner’s for their delicious Friday perch. We had a $100 gift card to use there, and we were allowed to use part of it, so it was practically a free dinner except for the tip.

Saturday Travalon and I met Rich and Tiffy for coffee, then Travalon, Tiffy, and I went to the International Festival at the Overture Center. We ate Costa Rican and Ethiopian food while listening to a Yiddish band, then we listened to a group that included the son of one of my bandmates playing Ghanian music. We checked out the merchants (and I bought a very festive llama I named Lolita), then we listened to a Puerto Rican group play salsa. Travalon left, and Tiffy and I watched some flamenco dancers and then a Chinese cultural display that was extremely cool. Among other things, it had a young dance troupe performing to Chinese hip hop, which is just as wonderful as it sounds. Travalon came back and we went home so Tiffy could see the sitar. In the evening she and I had dinner at an Indian restaurant with Rich, then we went to a Baroque concert. Travalon, meanwhile, watched his old high school buddy’s daughter in her high school’s basketball playoff game. They won! So on to State!

Yesterday Travalon, Tiffy, and I had brunch at Crema, then we went to CocoVaa for chocolate, and then Tiffy headed home while Travalon and I went to Sauk to watch eagles. We saw quite a few flying around by the dam, but none sitting in the trees. Then we went to the Harmony Bar for a fundraiser for the local community radio station. It was a band doing Jimmy Buffet covers, but at first they were playing country songs we didn’t know, so the crowd just sat there. Once they started playing Buffet, people got up and started dancing – including us. We had a quiet evening at home; Travalon made delicious pork chops, and we watched a movie from 1929 called Broadway Melody. Warning: the ending isn’t tragic, but it isn’t super happy either. They weren’t afraid to have characters end up alone back in the Roaring 20’s.

Famous Hat


No comments: