Thursday, May 13, 2021

Perfect Start to the Boating Season

 

It was a beautiful day today, and I took the morning off of work so that Travalon and I could get our boat in the water for the season. Our neighbor helped us get the boat into the water (we are both terrible at backing up the trailer), and then we got in the boat and took a short ride over to our dock. It went perfectly! Not a single problem. 

After that we went to my garden plot, which is a bit of a disaster - weeds everywhere! We covered up what we could with hay and paper bags, and I planted four little kale plants because they sent an email the other day that if we didn't plant anything by Saturday, they would take our plot away and assign it to someone on the waiting list. Yikes! It seems a bit early, but maybe it won't get cold anymore at night, in which case I should get the two plants at Rich's house and move them back onto our dock. I wanted to plant some ground cherries, but when Travalon went to the co-op yesterday, they didn't have any. However, they just called him a little while ago to say they got some in, so tomorrow evening I will plant some. Then the mean old garden people can't say I haven't planted in my plot! I do have onions and a chive plant that came back, plus both strawberry plants, but they said plants coming up from last year don't count. I also have a random pea plant that I must have planted last year, but it only sprouted now.

The rest of the day was less outdoorsy, but it was kind of funny during Night Prayer when I was trying to describe how Travalon and I heard a bird at Horicon that sounded like a kookaburra, and the others didn't know what I meant, so I did my imitation. They were so impressed that they made me do it again, and then Travalon, who was listening to something with headphones on, looked over at me in bemusement. What, don't most guys' wives do kookaburra imitations on their Zoom meetings? This came up because the Single B-Boy said he had gone for a walk at Tiedemann Pond tonight, and he saw two sandhill cranes and four blue herons, and I was saying how on Sunday we saw a bunch of blue herons nesting in the trees above a lake just to the north of Interstate 94. Rich pulled up a map, and we think we figured out what lake it is. I guess all those cars rushing by don't bother the herons as they are raising their young. Maybe they figure it keeps the predators away.


Famous Hat


No comments: