Saturday, July 3, 2021

I Drove a Train for My Half-Birthday

 

Today Travalon and I drove down to the Illinois Railway Museum, and on the way we passed an antiques store, so we stopped. I got a mini guitar, a cheap rosary, and an even cheaper crucifix.


Then we went to the train museum, because Travalon heard they were having a deal where you could ride trolleys all day, and he figured that is how I would love to spend my half-birthday. He took a lot of fantastic photos, and some great videos, so I will post a lot more at a later date. We did ride on this trolley.


And on this trolley.


And on this Christmas-colored trolley, which was the one that took us out to the Metra train that we drove.



We also rode two trains pulled by steams engines and a commuter train that went really fast. This old train had the best luxe green velvet seats. Notice we are both wearing train T-shirts; I borrowed one from Travalon, and it seems appropriate, since it has a goat on it and I am obviously a Capricorn, since today is my half-birthday.



Here is the other steam engine. Isn't it cute?


And here's the Metra train we were going to drive!



Here we are driving it! Travalon made a video of my whole trip, so I'll post that soon.



Then we drove to Evanston, and on the way we stopped at Baskin-Robins for ice cream. I got their new beach-flavored ice cream, which is blue with graham cracker "sand" and caramel-filled chocolate sea turtles. It was really good. Travalon had a mint shake that he enjoyed a great deal.


I thought his car's navigation system map looked really cool in this part of Illinois.


Then we walked to the church where we will go to Mass tomorrow.


It's called St. Mary's. We stopped in our hotel bar and talked to the very friendly bartender and some of the other patrons. Another couple had won free hotel stays at any Graduate hotel in the month of July, so they are at this one in Evanston and then heading to the one in Madison. They asked for tips about what to do in Madtown, so I told them about the Betty Lou Cruises and the Monona Terrace and some other stuff. They are big bikers, so they are going to bike out to New Glarus and visit the brewery. Then we watched the end of the Bucks game, and they won!! So they will be in the finals!! And their last couple of games were without Giannis, so imagine how unstoppable they could be when they get him back!


Famous Hat


No comments: