Friday, July 2, 2021

Lit Madison

 

Because I'm fat and (per Travalon) a snorer, the doctor said I needed to get tested for sleep apnea. They said I'd have to do a home test, but if I passed that, I'd have to do a test in the sleep lab, because boy howdy, they are not going to stop testing me until I test positive for sleep apnea. I said let's cut to the chase and just do the test in the sleep lab, but they said insurance won't pay for it until I've had the home test. So they said they were going to send it in the mail and I'd get it last Thursday, but it never arrived, and nobody ever answered the phone at the place that was sending the test. Finally someone returned my messages and said it wasn't coming until the next Thursday, as in yesterday, so whatever. But then they started leaving me messages about why haven't I returned my test yet. I wasn't sure what to expect, but yesterday the test did arrive in the mail, and it was about as traumatic as I'd feared. You have to wrap a belt around yourself, stick this thing in your nose, and stick your finger in another thing, and then all three sensors have to light up green. One kept lighting up orange, but when you call their support line, you just get an answering service, and then nobody calls you back. Finally just after midnight I figured it out myself, so I called the answering service and said forget it, don't have anyone call me back. You had to sleep for six to eight hours, but then our condo board president sent a text at 6:30, and it buzzed on my FitBit and woke me up, so I was afraid I hadn't slept enough hours for the test. However, it lit up green, not red, so that meant it was a good test. I shipped it off this morning, and now I just sit back and wait for them to either tell me I need a CPAP or schedule the sleep lab test.

This evening was a lot more fun. Tiffy canceled our call at the last minute, so Travalon and I decided to check out this thing called Madison Lit, or Lit Madison, or something like that. It was supposed to be an R&B singer at the top of State Street, so we parked semi-illegally at the church (we should get a permanent parking spot there for all the money we give them) and headed up State Street. One of Travalon's favorite shops, Little Luxuries, was still open, so we stopped in and bought super necessary things like a book about "dumbass birds," an astrology coloring book, neon pens to color in it (because then it will glow under the blacklight!), a super bouncy ball, and a $10 tie-dyed chocolate bar.


(It's sort of white chocolate with fruit flavors.) Then we continued on to the party. A DJ was playing all sorts of Black music, and I was loving it. Travalon found some of it tolerable, but he enjoyed sitting outside, enjoying the more temperate weather. It has been a nearly perfect temperature all day long. There were people sort of dancing, and this guy juggling light-up bowling pins:


It was a lively scene, and people seemed really happy. I think, like Dane Dances, the idea is to get people of all sorts of colors to mingle. There were certainly all colors of people there, so I guess it worked...? If any of my readers would like to check out the next Lit Madison with me, it will be in two weeks, and this time there will be a salsa band. I'm not sure what happened to the live music tonight; we hung around for quite a while, until the DJ got weird and was just playing snippets of a song instead of the whole thing. One cool thing was that they had the whole top block of State Street blocked off, and vendors were there, so we got a travel mug that says: "Life is good - you should get one!" You can never have too many travel mugs, since they seem to break or disappear with alarming regularity.


Famous Hat

No comments: