Thursday, July 15, 2021

Perfect Sunset Boat Ride

 

This morning when Travalon and I went for a walk, we saw the golden squirrel hanging around where the Betty Lou cruises leave from, which is where we always see it.


When I went for a lunchtime rosary walk, my neighbor who seems to have memorized my walking schedule was ready to pounce. "Can I join you?" So much for the rosary... Another neighbor is actually the mother of a famous, long-dead comedian, and she saw us and started talking to us too. I was wearing a Bucks shirt, so she said, "Wasn't that game exciting?!" because it really was - the Bucks won in the last few minutes - and I couldn't believe I was discussing a basketball game with a really famous guy's mother. (His brother lives there too, and he looks just like him, only middle-aged, since this guy was unfortunately quite young when he died.) Then when Travalon came home, we took a long, lovely boat ride. It was an absolutely perfect night. Here are some photos of the sunset.




Here's Travalon at the helm!


And here's another terrible selfie of me. I was trying to pose like our new friend on the Chicago boat cruise, who was taking really good selfies of herself, but she is a lot more photogenic to begin with.


Here is a photo of the remnants of the cotton candy clouds from Tuesday's sunset.


And here the crescent moon from that evening.


Speaking of Tuesday, here's the summary of that hike I took with Richard Bonomo. You can see that we averaged 7 calories per minute for almost two and a half hours, and that's about my top speed!


Yesterday my feet hurt so badly that I wondered if I had "rhabdo," that muscle injury that can result in kidney failure. It wasn't on my radar until I got that bad leg injury while canoeing two years ago, and the doctor looked at the swollen lump on my calf and said, "It's probably just a bad contusion, but I'm going to do some tests to make sure it isn't compartment syndrome." I had never heard of "compartment syndrome," but of course I went home and promptly googled it, and yikes! It's a form of rhabdomyolysis, which can result from a crushing injury or from extreme overexertion of a muscle. (Good news: it was just a contusion, i.e., a bruise. The swelling took a couple of months to go down, and I still have a bruise there. Maybe it will never go away...) I thought, "Man, if I go to the hospital for rhabdo, that will sound so tough, because you almost always get it from being super active!" Then I thought, "No, wait - it will sound so stupid because it's so preventable!" The other reason I thought I possibly had it is that I hadn't brought any water on the hike so I wouldn't have to pee, and then I got home after two and a half hours and still didn't have to pee, and then I drank two bottles of water and a glass of lemonade and I STILL didn't have to pee. Lack of urination can be a sign of rhabdo, but the classic symptom is brown pee from all the broken-down proteins in your urine, which is what causes kidney problems. I never had that, and today I feel fine, so I'm going to say I didn't get rhabdo from our vigorous hike.

This is the view from my neighbor's sister's house. It's in Maine, but it looks just like northern Wisconsin.


This afternoon I took a rosary walk (since I had been thwarted at noon), and I heard a train horn in the distance. When trains come from the west, you hear the horn at one intersection, then another one, and then the really close one just before you see the train. I saw two guys walking on the railroad tracks to get to a fishing spot, and they weren't moving with any speed, so I figured they knew the train wasn't coming any time soon, but even so I walked to the Nau-Ti-Gal parking lot to finish the rosary. I didn't hear the horn again, but then suddenly I heard rumbling from the east - the train was coming from the other direction!! I don't remember hearing the horn in the distance when it comes that way, because the tracks go under the road so there is no intersection where they need to toot their horn. It was so quick that I didn't really have a chance to make a video, and anyway, it looked just like all the other trains in my neighborhood that I have featured on this blog, only traveling the other direction. The horn seemed VERY loud, so I could have gotten that on a video. Oh, and the guys walking on the track got off in plenty of time. Anyway, since I didn't make a video of that train, enjoy this video my neighbor made of a train going by at night in Ohio.


The train goes by after dark all the time in our neighborhood, but I've never tried to make a video of that. Maybe I should have made a video of the train we once got stopped behind when we were in the car with Travalon's old high school buddy and his wife one New Year's Eve - that thing went on for like half an hour! That would be my longest YouTube video yet.


Famous Hat

No comments: