Sunday, July 25, 2021

Watertown and Hustisford

 

Travalon had an interesting day at work on Friday, but in a good way. First he and the kids went to the splash pad, then they went to a place down in Fitchburg that his organization owns, and a bus pulled up that said "Packers Road Trip 2021." Out came four Packers from the era when they won the Super Bowl with Rodgers: James Jones, Ryan Grant, Morgan Burnett, and Nick Collins. They helped the kids build towers out of marshmallows.

Yesterday we ended Street Fest by watching fireworks, although not on the Street. We sat outside at Bierock enjoying tiny beers, and we watched the fireworks from the Mallards game. Unfortunately, the Mallards lost. Here is a video of the end of the fireworks.


This morning at brunch I was telling Rich that maybe yesterday I fell for a scam: when Jilly Moose and I were up at the Farmers' Market, we saw a booth that said: "Smell Your Zodiac Sign." They had twelve numbered scents, but they wouldn't tell you which one was for which sign. You had to do an online survey, and they asked for your full name and date of birth. Then you had to smell the twelve scents and say if you liked them or not. I liked the first three and was afraid I'd like all of them, but then I didn't like any others but #10. The woman asked to see my survey before I submitted it, and she said, "You did like your sign's scent!" because Capricorn was #10. They gave me a very nice pen to thank me, so when I told Rich the story, he asked to see the pen, checked out the website, and found it was a real perfume shop in Monroe, so he doubted that it was an elaborate scam to get my name and date of birth - after all, I could have used a fake name, and they didn't ask for my Social Security number. The other woman at brunch asked what was my sign and I said, "Capricorn, what's yours?" and she said, "Virgo," and then we were off and running, yakking about all the Irish surnames in our families, and were we related? and poor Travalon was trying to clear up the fact that there were two towns in our state called Lebanon, the one she was from and the one he knew. How random is that? But he had a hard time busting in on our Irishness fest.

After that Travalon and I got bubble tea, which was the third day in a row for me, because we got one on Friday night on our way back from the Union Terrace. I got the Unicorn Tea again with popping bubbles that were full of mango juice. It was like bubble wrap for your tongue - so fun! And the mango went really well with the coconut - totally tropical! Then we went to Literatus, the bookstore in Watertown, and bought some books. The only thing I need more of than books is rosaries, and guess what? They were giving away commemorative ones at Ethel's mother's funeral. Travalon and I hiked on Tivoli Island in Watertown, then we went to a park on another island in town, and then we drove to Hustisford because for some reason I really wanted to see it. On a Sunday afternoon most of the shops were closed, but we went to the local coffee shop, which we didn't realize was supposed to have already been closed for over half an hour. I wasn't going to have more ice cream after that huge malt yesterday, but they had beer and pretzel ice cream, and man was that good! Then they had a drink made out of lotus, so I had to try that. I just love lotuses, as my regular readers know. We drove by the big island in Sinissippi Lake that has no bridge out to it but has lots of houses on it, so they must just be summer cottages the people get to by boat. Finally we took a hike at Astico County Park by the Crawfish River. What a fun day! 

Here are some recent photos. First is a page from the Zodiac coloring book that I got a couple of weeks ago and recently colored with my new neon pens.


And it worked!! It glows under my blacklight!


Here Travalon and I are at the Mallards game on Thursday evening. I am wearing an old-school hat they gave away at a game years ago because I'm getting in the historical Negro League spirit. We're also wearing Negro League T-shirts.


These are the four former Packers. I'm not sure which is which.



Here are some shots from Friday night at the Union Terrace.


This is one of their iconic sunburst chairs. I got earrings like this yesterday.


See the really lit-up boat? I tried to take a zoomed-in photo, but it was really grainy. We think this was a Betty Lou cruise to watch the fireworks in Shorewood.


When we went to Literatus today, we saw this building out the window as we sat on the upper balcony. The way the paint has worn away looks like a shapely woman's torso. Or did someone do this on purpose...?


This is the dam on the Rock River that you can see from Tivoli Island.


I thought this playground equipment that looked like a Medieval fortress in a park in Watertown was pretty cool.


Here we are on the other island in Watertown. I'm wearing the new tie-dyed T-shirt I got yesterday.



This is art in the community garden in Hustisford. First, a blue heron.


Some very colorful art.


Two little ant sculptures.


This frog playing a flower flute is very cute, but he does sort of look like he's flipping you the middle finger.


And these are purple coneflowers we saw at Astico County Park. I was trying to get the bumblebee sitting on the taller one, but the bumblebee landed on my phone as I was taking the picture. That was a bit startling! Fortunately it didn't sting me - it just flew away.


Tonight at Night Prayer we had an interesting time, because the hostess was having technical issues and couldn't log in, and none of the rest of us could share our screen to show the breviary. Finally the hostess got in... and then it said she wasn't the host either and couldn't share her screen! So who was the host, Zoom? Are you saying none of us was worthy? The original hostess led the prayer, and I did the responses by memory. I was shocked to realize I actually remembered three of the four verses of the hymn we always sing on Sunday nights, and all of Psalm 91. Guess I've been doing Night Prayer a while now!


Famous Hat
 

No comments: