Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Doughnut Adventure

 

So this story illustrates one of the perks of being back on campus: this morning our student hourly walked by carrying two boxes of doughnuts, and I was surprised, since she doesn't work on Wednesdays. I said, "Doughnuts?" and she said, "The German Club is selling them for a fundraiser." I said too bad I didn't have any cash, and she said, "We take Venmo," and I said, "I'm old. I have no idea how to Venmo." She put them in my coworker's office while he was gone, since that's where she works, and then he came back and asked another coworker and me if we knew why there were doughnuts in his office. My other coworker didn't know, but I told them the story, and they both offered to spot me a couple of bucks to get a doughnut. Later I had to take some stuff down to the mailroom on the first floor, and my coworker who had not hosted the doughnuts in his office came with me so we could buy doughnuts. We found the students selling them, but a faculty member was standing there, and she said, "I'm running a tab. These are on me." So, free doughnut! I picked one that looked promising; it had chocolate frosting and looked like it might have custard inside, since those are my favorite. I think they're called Bismarcks. Back upstairs we ran into a grad student who had one covered in powdered sugar, and he said he hoped his had raspberry jam inside, so I said I hoped mine had custard inside. Later we checked back with each other, and we had both gotten exactly what we wanted, so he said, "Today was a good day." And that is the kind of thing that just can't happen while working from home, but I will still enjoy sitting in my easy chair while wearing a hoodie for the next two days. I like this hybrid schedule - it's the best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, Travalon went out to the dock and got some more photos of buffleheads.






Let's get some ladies in these pictures!



This is what it looks like when the bufflehead is looking straight at you.


I don't know what's going on here. Maybe he's getting ready to dive?


A male duck with two females. Is he a bigamist?


We have to enjoy them while they're here, because they always seem to disappear by the end of April.


Famous Hat


No comments: