Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Happy Mardi Gras! Badgers Are Big Ten Champions!

 

Today my colleague was asking me about Lent, since she grew up in a Communist country (China) and doesn't know a lot about Christianity. She asked if I "celebrated" Lent, and I said, "You don't really celebrate Lent. I'll be observing Lent." When she found out that Lent is forty days long, she said, "We should do this together! We could lose so much weight!" Which of course is not the point, and it has actually never worked for me in the past, but maybe if I eat less and keep walking at a breakneck pace with her, I could actually lose some weight. I still haven't decided what to do for Lent, so maybe I should give up procrastination.

After my adoration hour, Travalon and I went to the Mardi Gras party at the Essen Haus. It may seem funny that one of the most popular Mardi Gras parties in town is at a German restaurant, but we hoped we might have better luck getting into it than one of the actual Cajun restaurants in town. They said they could seat us right away, but the table was right smack in front of the very loud, not at all Cajun band. Instead, we waited ten minutes for a table off to the side, where we could hear the music but it wasn't at an eardrum-splitting volume. We had alligator skewers and $5 hurricanes before the main course, which was blackened catfish for Travalon and jambalaya for me. We each got a piece of cornbread too, so that was my dessert until we got home, when I had some chocolate. The band started playing better music, and someone turned on the Badger game, so Travalon was happy. The Badgers won the Big Ten championship! Chucky Hepburn hit a big three right at the end to win it. So exciting!


Famous Hat


No comments: