Tuesday, March 15, 2022

My Worst Nightmare Is Coming True

 

So now the Senate has voted to make Daylight Saving Time permanent. This is a very elitist position, so it's not surprising that senators are in favor of it. People with higher-ranking jobs (like senators) tend not to start work until nine, so they can sleep in until the sun comes up, even during Daylight Saving Time. Those of us with lower-level jobs are routinely required to start well before eight, and often much earlier than that, so we hate having to get up yet an hour earlier. When you are already having to get up at six, Daylight Saving Time means now you have to get up at five. Of course the people who start work later love it - then they get sun in the evening, but those of us who have to get up early would just as soon have it get dark sooner, since we have to go to bed so early. Since I have always been a low-level worker, but I am also most assuredly not a morning person, I have always dreaded Daylight Saving Time. Then in 2020 I was spared the pain because the pandemic suddenly hit around the same time, and we all had to work from home, so I could sleep much later. Then when I had to go back into the office in person, I negotiated a later starting time so I could sleep until seven. And now - all my gains are going to be wiped out, and I'll be right back to having to wake up at what is really six in the morning, just like I had for years. And retirement is so many years away...

This is similar to the argument about going back to work in person. I read recently that there is a huge disconnect between executives, who want everyone back in the office, and the rank and file, who want to continue to work from home. The author pointed out that executives almost always have cushy private offices, while we low-level workers often have cubes or - worse - open-concept offices. That really seems to be what all this is about: the people in power have later working hours and comfortable offices, so they want everything in person and pushed an hour ahead. They don't care that things are totally different for the low-level workers they are ordering to follow their directives. If you ever wonder where all the anger in this country comes from, this would be a good place to start: people in power who dictate horrible conditions for others that they don't have to contend with themselves. At least I do have my own office - with a window! - so that is one thing working in my favor. What I really need to to is move to Hawaii, where they don't do Daylight Saving Time. Added bonus: no winter either. I have less than a year to find a job there.


Famous Hat


No comments: