Monday, October 24, 2022

Hiking and Hiking and GLEAM and Hiking

 

Sorry for the long silence. Friday I didn't blog because it was such a busy day. The weather was glorious, so I took the day off of work, and in the morning Travalon and I took a boat ride into the marsh. We tried to get curder burgers for lunch, but they were out of them, so I settled for a fish sandwich and a salted caramel pumpkin concrete mixer. Then Travalon went to work, and I went for a hike on the Ice Age Trail. Apparently I can't read maps, so I thought the Springfield Hill segment was not as far west as the Indian Lake segment (it actually is further west), so when I couldn't find it, I just went to Indian Lake for a lovely hike. There was quite a bird party on the lake, with tons of Canada geese, several sandhill cranes, and an egret. In the evening Travalon and I met someone for dinner who was a MyFace buddy we had never met in real life. We went to a really good Mediterranean restaurant.

Saturday Travalon and I went to the Springfield Hill segment of the Ice Age Trail, which is actually quite a bit west of Indian Lake, and we had a good hike and met a cute dog. Then he went to the Badger football game while I met Tiffy downtown. Only there was no place to park downtown, since it was Homecoming weekend, so we came up to my place and then hiked on Governor's Island. We drove through Maple Bluff, which is still very colorful, then we met Rich at an Indian restaurant in Monona, and then she and I went to GLEAM at Olbrich Gardens. I have photos, but I will post them later. It wasn't quite as extravagant as last year, but more interactive, like you could play this thing like a steel drum and it would change the color and speed of the lights on one display, and another one had knobs you could turn to change the colors and speeds. There was a field of light-up morel mushrooms, and Tiffy's favorite was the display of hanging orbs that would light up and emit sounds when you touched them. Anyway, by the time I got home, it was late so I didn't blog.

Yesterday Travalon and I were too pokey, so we went to the closest church for Mass and then drove out to Portage to walk along the levee beside the Wisconsin River. We also hiked on a segment of the Ice Age Trail that goes alongside the Portage Canal, and then we drove to the John Muir Nature Preserve and hiked on some of the Ice Age Trail out there. Good thing we were outside enjoying the weather instead of inside watching the Packers, because they were ahead at halftime and then stalled... again. Next week they are playing the Bills, who have a 5-1 record, in Buffalo, so I really don't see how they can win that one. Ah well, every season can't be great, but I do think they overpaid for a quarterback well past his prime. Then I went to Rich's house so he and Kathbert could figure out why my computer Boethius is running so slowly. Travalon sat in the Chair of Doom as they puzzled over the diagnostic tests they were running: "Hmm. I've never seen this before! What's going on here?" They used a lot of words I didn't understand, and when I said, "This is over my head," Kathbert said, "It's over mine too - that's why I'm having Rich take a look." Ultimately they weren't sure what was going on, so they said they will do some research. Apparently I'm not the only one with a 2012 MacBook Pro having this issue. And that is why I didn't blog last night, since it's hard to blog on a computer that's having diagnostic tests run on it.

Tonight I can blog! But I'm too tired to post any photos from this weekend, so that will have to wait for another night. I may post some from today too, because campus is still beautiful. Lakeshore Path was golden as I took a rosary walk at lunchtime. I'd like to get Travalon to go there with his good camera and take some truly stunning photos of all that fall foliage.


Famous Hat


No comments: