Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Listening in the Corn Maze

 

When Tiffy and I were in the corn maze this year, I noticed that I found the secret punches by hearing them. They are metal paper punchers that make different shape punches, like a star, a crescent, a diamond, etc., and they are on a metal chain attached to a metal pole, so when people punch their maps and then let the puncher go, it makes a metallic clank. I don't remember noticing this other years; we usually found punches by "thinking like a Treinen" and figuring out where in the pattern they would put a secret punch, or from hearing people holler, "Found one!" or just by wandering around until we came upon one. This year everything seemed to be hearing for me, like we would find the next section of the map by listening for what sounded like a cocktail party, because tons of people were always gathered around the mailboxes containing the map sections. I kind of felt like a stealthy hunter, seeking my prey by listening. Then today I was taking my lunchtime walk, and something sounded like a distant train, so I went toward the area where I could see the tracks. At first the sound seemed to be getting quieter, but suddenly it grew very loud, and then the train came into view. I like this "hunting by ear" - it feels as satisfying as navigating without GPS. It feels like a skill one would have needed back in the days when we were hunter-gatherers. Like it could help me survive in the wild or something. Granted, there are many reasons I probably wouldn't last that long in the wild, but it's good to know I'd hear my problems approaching.


Famous Hat


No comments: