Sunday, October 2, 2022

Happy Birthday, Dear Blog!

 

Yesterday this blog turned fourteen, and I celebrated by not posting. Why, you may ask? Because I was busy. In the morning it was beautiful, and Travalon and I talked about going for a boat ride, but we ended up just taking a walk. Then he headed off to visit his mother and his brother (and, most importantly, his brother's new dog), and he also hiked on the Ice Age Trail for our Mammoth Challenge this month. He ended the evening by going to see a cover band doing music by the Highwaymen.

I met Tiffy downtown, and we ate outside at the Globe, then we went to the corn maze and found eight secret punches in about an hour. The picture this year was a boy on a swing, surrounded by birds and butterflied and flowers. They had that "maze within a maze" again this year, with no map and random numbers that you have to add up, but Richard Bonomo had been busy and he was the one who was so good at that part last year, so we just skipped it. When we went to the prize table to claim our maze pens, the guy asked if we had done the secret number part too, and when we said nah, not this year, he seemed genuinely disappointed. I saw a 5 and a -2, so I could have said 3 and been totally wrong. All you get for that is to put your team name on the board - if they gave you a pen for that part too, then I might bother doing it.

We had dinner outside at the Mexican restaurant near my house, and for once I didn't order the shrimp chimichanga; I branched out and ordered the shrimp fajitas. Seemed healthier. We debated about getting tres leches cake for my blog's birthday, but we were too full, since Tiffy also had fajitas. Then we went to an early music concert at Holy Wisdom Monastery featuring Italian Baroque composers. It was so lovely. Afterwards as we walked back to my car, the headlights of another car illuminated a big maple right above it, and Tiffy was shocked at how red it looked. "Is it that red in daylight?" she asked, and I promised that it was every year, and we could come back and see it today. Oh yeah, at intermission they were selling good chocolates in three flavors: caramel, blood orange, and rose. We both got one of each, and they were so good, so that was how I celebrated my blog's birthday. I told the young girls selling the chocolates that my blog was fourteen that day, and they had no idea what I was saying, since blogs are so old-fashioned that nobody in their generation reads or writes one. Then again, they also asked Tiffy if she wanted a regular or senior admission, and since everyone thinks she is aging more gracefully than I am, I can only imagine what they would have asked me if I had gone first! Maybe they would have offered me the "special decrepit" rate. But since she went first, then they must have assumed I was also not as ancient as they actually thought, and they only offered me regular admission.

This morning after Mass Tiffy came with a bunch of us regulars to brunch at Inn on the Park, where service was very slow because there was only one waiter. I think every restaurant is having that issue, and I'm not part of the solution since I'm not moonlighting as a waitress. (Did it once for like five weeks, and that was enough for me!) Then Tiffy, Travalon, Richard Bonomo, and I went to Holy Wisdom Monastery so that Tiffy could see the red maple in daylight. We took a walk around the grounds, going all the way around the pond, then Travalon and I took a boat ride back into the marsh, where all the lotus seed pods looked dried up. There were still some green ones in the channel, so I grabbed one, and the seeds were perfectly ripe. They taste a bit like macadamia nuts. I thought we were too late, since they usually ripen around the solstice, but maybe the ones in the channel are a little pokier. Then I had Irish class for the first time in ages, and so I didn't think it would be good to skip it to watch the Packers. Travalon went to a nearby bar to watch the first half of the game, then he returned just as I was turning the game on after my class had finished, and we watched them beat the Patriots in overtime. (In other football news, the Badgers have sacked their head coach after a disastrous game yesterday that we didn't even bother to tape, since we just had a feeling it would be awful.) Then we watched some episodes of The Office. I introduced Travalon to the show, and he loves it. It may be nearly twenty years old, but it has aged well. It's still absolutely hilarious.


Famous Hat


No comments: