Monday, November 28, 2022

Back to Reality

 

Yesterday I half-passed my "get up early" drill: I got up in time to go to 9 am Mass, but I didn't get going fast enough to go downtown, so we went to the closest church. Then we met the usual brunch crowd at the Inn on the Park before Travalon and I went down to the Lakeshore Path to try to take pictures of the bird I keep seeing. It's a large diving bird with a white neck, and I thought it was a loon with winter colors, but a more serious birder said it's a red-necked grebe, which is even cooler. I had my binoculars and Travalon had his good camera, so we thought we could get a better view of the bird, but we never saw it. We saw buffleheads, coots, and mallards, but the water was very choppy. We did go to the ciiporoke. It was cold, so we went to the conservatory at Olbrich to warm up with the tropical plants. Then we went home and watched the Packers lose to the Eagles in Philly, which I was expecting, but I didn't expect them to fight so hard. Maybe if they had played like that against a team that isn't top of the NFL, they might have won. The first drive was awful, with the punt returner running out what could have been a touchback and then only getting five yards, and then Rodgers threw an interception. Toward the end Rodgers got hurt, so they finally put Jordan Love in, and he looked really good. I'd like to see him start in a game.

I forgot to mention that on Saturday we had lunch at a place called something like "Eat Good Pizza." It really was good pizza, so the name was apt. It's under the University Bookstore.

Today was brutal, having to get up early and work a whole day after four days of sleeping in and then doing whatever I wanted. On my lunchtime walk I saw not just one but two of those large diving birds. I feel a bit like Fred and Barney on The Flintstones, when they can see the Great Gazoo but nobody else can.  These birds really do exist! 

Here are some recent photos. First, here is what Travalon gets paid to do:


I guess we can add "architect" to his overblown bio from a few posts back. Not only that, but as a college basketball player, he played in two Final Fours! They were not the NCAA Final Four, of course, but a state tournament for small colleges and a Midwestern regional tournament.

Here are buffleheads that we saw yesterday.


More photos of the ciiporoke.



And here are a couple of photos of animals at the zoo that Travalon took during Today Fest:



Tomorrow I hope to post photos from Olbrich Gardens, so there's that to look forward to.


Famous Hat


No comments: