Monday, March 13, 2023

Have We Saved the Daylight Yet?

 

Today was just as bad as I'd feared. The alarm went off and I couldn't believe it - it seemed like a cruel joke. Travalon had just as much trouble getting up. Then I went to work and wanted some more coffee, but the Mini Moos had not arrived yet that we had ordered last week, and they are real cream, so my choices would have been black coffee or fake creamers. Yuck. I was about to have a cup of black coffee when my young coworker remembered that the Mini Moos had come on Friday but she hadn't brought them up from the mailroom, so she went and got them. I happily had a cup of coffee with real cream in it, but then we had a tutorial on our new copier, so we were standing around it for an hour. I thought it was so hard for me to stand for that long because I'm old and out of shape, but my young coworker, who is literally half my age, said she was about to pass out from standing so long. As soon as the tutorial was over I took a brisk walk, but my legs are still a bit sore even now, many hours later.

I do have to say that when I started this job nearly five years ago, the only things I had to dodge while crossing campus were students and vehicles, but now when I walk across campus, I also have to dodge cranes and food delivery robots. As cool as both things are, they can get in the way. The cranes seem to have settled near my building during the pandemic, when there were no people around, and now they don't seem to care that the students are back. Of course the food delivery robots appeared on campus four months before the pandemic hit, and at the time people were mocking the administration for what they saw as a stupid waste of money, but once the poor students were quarantined in their dorms with only the robots to bring them food, it seemed like the most prescient decision ever. It does make me wonder what will be the next hazard in the years to come. I feel like the frog in Froggert, having to evade all these hazards.

Someone posted a thing on social media that said: "Did we do it? Did we save the daylight?" and someone else responded: "Was hoping maybe this time we saved it once and for all." If we haven't saved it yet, maybe it's time for a serious conversation about whether it's even worth saving.

Time for a DuoLingo brag!


Again, this is nothing I was doing on purpose. It's just that I must do more DuoLingo than a lot of the other people in the league. Part of it is that DuoLingo plays a dirty trick of giving me two-for-one points for the next fifteen minutes all the time, so then I feel duty-bound to use them. But I thought this was a particularly pretty sticker. Once I got a trophy for winning the tournament, and it was opalescent. I mean, it was virtual - it's not like I have a DuoLingo trophy sitting on my bookcase. They should probably sell them - who wouldn't want an opalescent trophy to prove they do too much DuoLingo?


Famous Hat

No comments: