Thursday, March 30, 2023

Today Feels Like a Lizzo Song (You Know the One)

 

Sorry that I have not blogged for a couple of days, but I didn't have much to say. Tuesday evening I did go out and see five planets strewn across the night sky in an arch, with the moon at the end of it, so that was lovely. Wish I hadn't missed the northern lights last Thursday... Yesterday I worked from home, so there wasn't really anything to say. But today I was back on campus, and two things happened.

The first thing was that when I came back from my lunchtime walk, a woman had already called the elevator, so I stood next to her. She was Asian, and she was singing a song under her voice in a language I didn't recognize, but I really got into the song. She stepped away from me, so maybe she thought I was standing too close, but she kept singing. The elevators were crazy busy at that time of day, and one stopped going down, so I got on that one, figuring it would go up before one going up would stop on the fourth floor. I went down to the first floor, and a bunch of undergrads got on and hit the button for the sixth floor. For some reason undergrads are not allowed to use the elevator to go to floors two through five; you have to use your ID card for those floors. So they all go up to the sixth floor and take the stairs down. Then the elevator did stop on the fourth floor, and the students all got out. The Asian woman got in, and when it was just the two of us, she began singing the song softly again. I looked over at the sheet of paper she was holding, and the words appeared to be in Hmong, or as it is written in their language, Hmoob. I said, "I like your song," and she smiled at me. Maybe she was practicing to sing it in front of a class of unruly undergrads? I want to be in that class. Maybe she will teach them all this song, and it's very pretty.

The second thing was that I had a meeting this afternoon, and only after I got back from it did I notice there were crumbs from my lunch all over my sweater. Which was odd enough, because it was pizza - I never think of pizza as especially crumby - but how had I not noticed it in the mirror? Did everyone else at the meeting notice and think, "What a slob - she's got crumbs all over her sweater!"? But it is a patterned sweater, so maybe the crumbs were hard to notice unless you looked really closely, like when I looked down at my sweater and saw them. I can only hope so...

For some reason today I keep thinking of the Lizzo song "About D@mn Time." I can't imagine why...


Famous Hat


No comments: