Thursday, March 16, 2023

Watching a Historic Basketball Game

 

Today I worked from home in the morning and on campus in the afternoon. I had to take a long walk across campus in the drizzle, but actually I enjoyed that. People have always noticed that I seem to like those cool, drizzly days that everyone else hates, and they always said I would love Seattle, but of course the one time I was there it was sunny every single day. I think my ancestors were mostly from cool, rainy places, so maybe it's genetic. However, I do love sunny days as well, and after all, I have ancestors from West Africa. Just not as many.

This evening Travalon was watching two Catholic high school basketball teams play in the state tournament, and there was some floppy-haired kid named Eric Kenesie who was on fire. He scored every time he had the ball, so the other team was fouling him, but then he made all his free throws so that strategy wasn't working for them either. We thought that name would be pronounced Ke-NEE-see, and we wondered what ethnicity that was, but then the announcers called him something that sounded like Kennessy, rhyming with Hennessy, which is an Irish name, so I'm going to guess it's an Irish name? He actually broke the record for most points in a Wisconsin high school basketball state tournament game, 51 points, so we were watching history unfold. And he's only a junior, so next year he can come back and do it all again. Travalon hopes his team, the Lancers, win state because they never have before.

OK, so I was just reading about this kid, and his parents were both big-time college athletes in their day. He is not only a starter on the basketball team but the starting quarterback of the football team and a starting infielder on the baseball team. He has five younger siblings, so if they are also as athletic as he is, this school could be a contender for years to come.

Saturday when we saw my classmate at the Brink Lounge, she had a cupcake someone had given her for her birthday with a four-leaf clover candle on top. I thought the candle was so cute, and when we were leaving, I saw that she had abandoned it on the table, so I brought it home. And guess what? It glows under blacklight! Now I don't want to burn it.


Since Hannibal O'Leary, the lion I got at the Mardi Gras parade, is also bright green, I checked to see if he does too. Answer: sort of?


Funny that the white parts on him look blue in this photo. I guess that's from the purplish glow of the blacklight itself. Of course I forgot something that I was going to test. At work there are these German journals just sitting around on a table in the common area, and one looks like it has a cover that would glow under blacklight. I meant to take it today, since nobody is around during Spring Break to see me do it, and I was going to test my theory. I have to remember to grab it before someone gets sick of it just sitting there and recycles it.


Famous Hat


No comments: