Thursday, March 9, 2023

TrioLingo


Yesterday I had to go to a meeting in the Union, and in the restroom I saw a sticker with information on ordering abortion pills. Since it was International Women's Day, that made me reflect that women are always told they have to be good or they have to live with the consequences of their bad decisions, but college guys seem to be able to get away with literal rape because people say, "Oh, boys will be boys!" Important: they must be white boys - we all know what would happen to a young black guy who acted like that. They are regularly killed by the police for far less serious crimes. It does make you wonder why a white guy in his 20's behaving badly is treated so much more indulgently than any other group. 

In the evening we watched Turning Red, a Pixar movie about a 13-year-old girl who turns into a red panda when she gets too emotional. It was, I thought, a really good depiction of a girl discovering her own sexuality and turning away from her parents and toward her peers, and I liked the panda metaphor. Travalon was less enthused about the movie, but after all, he was never a 13-year-old girl. Even all these years later, I can remember what it was like, and the movie nailed it.

Today I worked from home, and I'm so glad because the snow started falling well before I would have headed home from work. Tomorrow I am supposed to go in for another important meeting, but it's late in the afternoon so I'll work from home in the morning and hope the snow stops so I can head in for the afternoon. The snow may continue all weekend, which is a bummer because the Back Around the Clock festival will be going on (in fact, they had a concert yesterday that I attended), but Tiffy is reluctant to come to town for it with the unpromising weather forecast. Of course, if the weather is bad enough, I won't even be able to go across town for the festival. This year it's in honor of a local viola player who just died of a brain tumor, so I really want to go. And of course we have to do our yearly ritual of putting flowers on Mr. Why's grave, but will we be able to find it under all that snow?? 

How about a little DuoLingo bragging?


In honor of International Women's Day, some of the girl characters formed a band. I can get behind that, being in a girl band myself. I wonder what kind of music they play? Is it Irish music or French music? And since there are three of them, are they TrioLingo? Of course, I got my very first exercise wrong because it asked me to translate a word from English, so I translated it into Irish... and I was in the French module. Oops! 


Famous Hat

No comments: