Sunday, March 12, 2023

St. Patrick's Day Festivities

 

This morning was the start of the depravity known as Daylight Saving Time, and I figured we would never get up in time to get to our church downtown. Sure enough, we had to go to the later, nearby Mass at a church that is sort of ugly inside and has terrible music for the most part, not hymns but worship songs. Hymns are easy for everyone to sing, but worship songs take too much skill for the average member of the congregation - even I get lost with all those gratuitous time signature changes and random accidentals. However, the people who go to this church do seem to be more the "normal" Catholics I have been searching for. After Mass there were snacks, and we sat with another couple who also love animals. I can't tell you how sick I am of overly religious people who say animals are of no importance because they have no souls. (Neither of those things is true, either.) It's too bad a person has to choose between beautiful liturgy and decent people who are not hung up on if you receive in your hand and don't wear a chapel veil, etc., but I'll take the decent people all day long.

Then Travalon and I ran to the Capitol for a ceremony for St. Patrick's Day. The pipes and drums played, the Trinity Dancers dances, and then they unfurled the Irish flag as the Irish National Anthem played. We were invited to march in the parade as members of the Shamrock Club, but it was cold and Travalon is still a bit under the weather, so we found a restaurant on the Square where we could sit and face the windows, and we watched the parade from the warmth. I poked my head outside a couple of times to hear music, but I certainly don't need any candy or any more beads!

After my Irish class, Travalon and I met Jilly Moose at the Brink Lounge for the annual St. Patrick's Day Eve party. My Irish teacher and her husband arrived at the same moment, and I saw another classmate who was celebrating her birthday today, and my first Irish teacher, and Travalon saw the Daughter of Denni. We enjoyed some Irish music and some adult beverages, but for some reason the kitchen had stopped serving food even though the party was far from over, so I just had a bag of pretzels. Afterwards we went with Jilly Moose to Erin's Snug Irish Pub for some real food, then we rushed home for Night Prayer. The Dairyman's Daughter has an orange tabby and a brown tabby who regularly Zoom-bomb, and tonight the orange tabby had his eyes closed and was moving his mouth during the Canticle of Simeon, so that it looked like he was praying it too. I had a hard time not laughing about that! He looked so pious! Almost too pious, like the people who go to the liturgically beautiful churches. Maybe I'd rather go to church with the brown tabby - he's supposed to be much naughtier. My kind of Cat-holic!


Famous Hat


No comments: