Saturday, August 7, 2010

Not a $@#&*! People Person

One thing that struck me as hilarious when I was talking to my supervisor after that dreaded meeting was when she asked what my ideal job would be, I replied computer programmer, and she seemed shocked. "You just seem so people-oriented!" she said. "Don't you want a job involving people?" and I said, "Not really." Then she said I must be a very good actress. In a culture that puts such a premium on being a People Person, especially when you are a female, did I ever really have a choice? Maybe in the Middle Ages I could have been an anchoress, but currently the jobs available to women all seem to take loads of people skills.

How about running a lighthouse? Do they even have people who do that anymore, or is it now all controlled by computers? I once saw a Mexican restaurant called "El Faro," and I thought, why don't they call them The Lighthouse around here, instead of those cheesy names like Fiesta Cucaracha and Margarita Verde?

I think it would be fun to drive a semi, but the fact that I can't drive more than four hours without getting groggy might hamper this career option. Is it something genetic? When Tiffy and I go on road trips, we're always like, "If you take two hours of my four-hour shift now, I will take two hours of your four-hour shift later," but we have a friend who could just drive forever. In fact, back in college she proposed a vacation that would entail driving as far as we could (she was thinking Idaho) and then just turning around and coming back. Her father was a truck driver, so she must have inherited some long-distance driving gene Tiffy and I just don't have.

By the way, if any of my loyal readers happen to be perusing this post, I am not referring to you when I say that I don't like people. It's people in general I can't stand; you are fantastic.

Famous Hat

No comments: