Thursday, June 14, 2012

Someone's Brother Falling


Third in a series.

Once I was at a party at the house of a friend of a friend, and I sat at a glass-topped table and set my plate on it. To my surprise, my plate fell right through to the white carpet below, because one pane of glass happened to be missing – right where I set my plate. The hostess seemed unconcerned. “I always forget to warn people about that,” she shrugged. Fortunately my lunch had mostly stayed on the plate, so it wasn’t the disaster it could have been.

We had just all recovered from that shock when suddenly there was a loud clatter as someone fell all the way down the stairs, hollering the F word over and over. We were even more alarmed by this development, but once again our hostess was nonchalant. “That’s my brother,” she said. “He falls down those stairs once a day.” Sure enough, he got up and appeared to be no worse for wear, although he did remind us all of how much he hated those stairs.

Famous Hat

No comments: