Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Corny Labor Day

I hope you had a happy Labor Day. I started the day off right, meeting Travalon for coffee, then we drove to his friends’ house in Waupun and we all (including three school-age girls) went to the Corn Festival in Randolph. There was a parade earlier in the day which we missed, but we got there in plenty of time to enjoy free corn on the cob. You can have up to three ears of corn; I was only going to have one, but the guy handed me two, so I just took them both. Good corn, but nothing compares to the stuff at the Ashippun Firemen’s Picnic. Unfortunately the guy selling birch beer was not there this year. Apparently it’s like root beer but red, and totally delicious. We did have cheese curds, burgers, and cream puffs, saying we’d start our diets on Tuesday. You have to enjoy the last day of summer!

That evening Katzooks hosted a dinner party at Rich’s house with lots of vegetarian food, like brown rice couscous and homemade hummus. The food was so healthy that I felt myself recovering from all the junk I’d eaten earlier in the day. Now I am back on track and eating my daily broccoli, although today I didn’t eat it because there were so many other veggies around. Some retired coworkers came in and brought treats, and one brought raw veggies to dip in yogurt dip another coworker had made. Of course, another retiree brought doughnuts…

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Travalon said...

The Randolph Corn Festival is a nice 50 year old annual tradition. It is very typical of a rural WI small town festival or picnic. The red birch beer is supposedly made by a vendor known as Mugsy, kind of a play on words related to the national brand Mug Root Beer. Definitely a great traditional way to end the summer. I was pondering a stop at A&W or Mullin's Drive-In in Fox Lake afterwards to get some good root beer or even floats, but who has room after all that?

Richard Bonomo said...

Of course, I supplied a chuck roast for the sake of the omnivores in the group.... :-)