Wednesday, September 25, 2013

More Music


Last night, Travalon and I went to a relatively new place called Rigby's, just off the Capital Square. As you might guess from the Beatles reference of a name, the place is very focused on music of the 60's and 70's; that is what they have on the jukebox, and the bartenders (who couldn't have been born before 1990) wore T-shirts with 70's bands on them. The décor in the place was concert posters and album covers of bands from that particular era. I was intrigued that they would open a bar in a student area focusing on an era from their parents' youth, but the place was full of college kids so there must be some appeal for them. I thought, for them, nostalgia was remembering the 80's and 90's; anything before that would be Ancient History.

Speaking of music, I have played in a number of musical groups, including a mariachi band, two Mideastern bands, and a Renaissance band. My dream (as my 5.8 readers know) is to play in a salsa band, but thus far I have not found any salsa bands looking for a mandolin or violin player. (Though I may have more luck getting into one with the violin, I can do a mean guajeo on my mandolin.) Now a coworker and I are talking about forming a music group or two. She is a big fan of a group called Baguette Quartet, which plays French café music; that group consists of a guitarist, violinist, accordion player, and bass player, and my coworker plays a little guitar and knows an accordion player and a bass player. Also, I was invited by a tango dancer to play the violin for their tango lessons, and this coworker said the same configuration could work for tango music. Of course, planning for a wedding, singing in two choirs, and playing in my current group keep me busy enough, so you are probably wondering why I am looking for further opportunities to play music. The answer is: I don’t know. That’s just what musicians do.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I think you want to grow musically and unfortunately, playing the same tunes for the past 12 years is not doing it. I totally see why you would want to do something more exciting. A French band, mais oui. You will need an accordion and a mime

Famous Hat said...

Also, some of the music our band plays(Norwegian waltzes, snooze!) does not really appeal to me.