Monday, September 9, 2013

Indian Summer

Travalon and I have gone to a lot of festivals this summer, and Saturday we went to two. One was a Celtic Fest in Pewaukee, which was small but had actual Guinness (as opposed to Irish Fest). We watched some children doing Irish dancing and ate chicken from Burke’s Restaurant, and I bought a Celtic cross pin with an actual shamrock in it. The festival was on the lake front, which is lovely.

Then we went to Indian Summer, on the Summerfest grounds, which may be my favorite festival yet. We watched some dance contests with men and women wearing traditional costumes; I particularly liked the women’s jingle skirts, with bells all over them. Different groups sang and played the drums for the dancers, but we didn’t find out who the winners of all the contests were because they wouldn’t announce that until the next day. We had fry bread and corn to round out our meal, since we already had protein at Celtic Fest. I loved the colorful costumes at Indian Summer, most of which also jingled. I would love to learn the dances they were doing, which didn’t seem to take as much coordination as energy. We will definitely have to go back next year! 

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Famous Hat said...

I was informed by Hardingfele that this is an ambiguous post. By "Indian" I meant First Nation peoples, not East Asians from the subcontinent. (I once worked with someone who said that, if he were a land mass, he'd be a subcontinent.)