Monday, December 30, 2013

Work before Pleasure



Friday night Richard Bonomo, Kathbert, Cecil Markovitch, and I went to the Third Day of Christmas Carol Sing at the Lutheran church, then we went to my OTHER choir director’s house for leftover fruit soup. Saturday when Travalon came, I gave him his present from Ma and Pa Hat, and it was a chip bag clip that looked like a yellow bird, and when you open it, it tweets. That is the level of random I expect from the elder Hats. Travalon and I were heartily amused. Then we met with Palm Tree Fan, who is going to be doing the photographs for our wedding, and then we wandered down State Street because it was such a beautiful day. We had a long talk at the usual coffee place and then had some dinner at Nick’s. Then we discovered that the big wine store just down the road has an incredible selection, including that Midas Touch beer from Dogfish Head Brewery that is based on a 2000-year-old recipe. We bought a couple of bottles and went to Rich’s house, where we talked politics. The Midas Touch was really good, and really strong for beer – 9% alcohol. Guess those ancients knew how to party!

Sunday was an even better day. Why? If you watched the Packer game, you already know why. But work comes before pleasure, and so Rich made me work out at the health club again. Every time we are done, I am so sore that I can barely lift my arms the next day. Luxuli and her husband joined us too, then I went to their house to watch the game. It’s always a beautiful thing to watch the Packers beat the Bears, but it is even more special when Rodgers has been out for a good chunk of the season and then is finally back. Hard to believe we made it into the playoffs with our lousy record this year, but we did, so we are playing the Fortyniners at Lambeau. Light Bright (who is a Niners fan) and her husband (who is a Packer Backer) can talk trash to each other from now until Sunday. Then they can make up. I think it would be hard to be in a mixed marriage, but Travalon is a Packer fan too, so I won’t have to worry about it.

Famous Hat

No comments: