Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Going to Gesu



Saturday I drove to the Five O’s to visit Travalon and his mother. I was torn between bringing her yellow roses for Valentine’s Day or a couple of long-stemmed roses, but there was a beautiful lavender rose I just loved, so I brought her that, with a couple of pink ones – and it was her favorite color! Then we played Scrabble, and she almost beat me. Maybe if she’d gotten better letters, she would have totally beaten me, but I am a halfway decent Scrabble player myself. She said, “You have to watch out for us Capricorns!”

Then Travalon and I went to Mass at Gesu, the church on the Marquette University campus. It is very beautiful, like an old European church. Travalon says there is a chapel somewhere on campus that did actually come from France, so I’d love to see that someday. I took a picture of the inside of Gesu for my ongoing series: “The Interiors of Churches Where I’ve Attended Mass.” I have been to some gorgeous ones, but plenty of ugly, modern ones too. I don’t take photos of those. You can let your imagination serve you, if you have not been unfortunate enough to enter an ugly, modern church.

Travalon and I went to the Three Lions Pub for our delayed Valentine’s Day dinner, since we had Rich’s birthday party on Valentine’s Day. (We gave each other presents last Wednesday: he gave me delicious chocolates and a blanket that says “I love you” in English, French, Spanish, and German; I gave him a CD he already owns, so he just exchanged it for one he didn’t have.) After we returned to Oconomowoc, we went to the local martini bar, called Splash, but the bartenders completely ignored us, even after Travalon said something to them. We must not have been cool enough for them, since they cater to the twenty-something crowd. Guess we missed the sign that said: “No service to people over forty.”

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Richard Bonomo said...

I think that the chapel on the Marquette campus, which had been moved from France to Long Island, NY and eventually to Milwaukee, is connected to Joan of Arc. It contains a stone which she kissed at point, according to a tradition.