Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mariah Forty-Four



Last night Travalon and I stopped by a bakery to make an appointment for a tasting. People tell me this is the best part of getting married, so I said we should check out several bakeries, but Travalon would rather just get it over with than eat lots of free cake. I told the guy filling out the information slip that I am allergic to fake vanilla, which he seemed somewhat skeptical about, but he did write it down. The truth is that I do not go into anaphylaxis from vanillin, I go into some sort of manic state that can be downright dangerous. While it would make for an unforgettable wedding if I freaked out after eating a piece of my cake, I’d rather have things be memorable in a more pleasant way.

Then Travalon and I watched the movie Groundhog Day, about Bill Murray reliving the same day over and over. Travalon asked what day I would relive if I could, and honestly any day with him would be worth experiencing again, but I especially love our road trips. I said our trip to Galena, Illinois was a day I could live over and over. He chose a couple of days from our trip to New Orleans, and those would also be fantastic days to relive. This is why I keep my diary, Mariah, so I can go back and sort of relive wonderful past experiences. Also, people are forever asking me to consult Mariah about when such-and-such a thing happened, so it’s becoming a historical document. I have been keeping Mariah for twenty-four years and just started Mariah #44 this week, so that’s quite a bit of documentation. People say they do not keep diaries because they don’t want other people to read them, but if you ever saw my handwriting, you’d know there’s little danger of that in my case. My children, should I have any, would be even less likely to decode my chicken scratch because cursive is no longer taught in schools. My boss tells stories about friends’ kids who cannot read notes from Grandma. It seems sad to lose cursive – how will my hypothetical children keep their own diaries? On their hypothetical iPads?

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I am also sad that there is no more cursive. Having said that, no one can read my writing. I think you should get a cake from Buddy, the Cake Boss. Kari and I are trying. We have tips, we can sorta roll fondant and we even have the Wilton classes equipment. But it never comes out as it should in the book.

Famous Hat said...

My cakes, as featured on this blog, are far from professional creations.