Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dove Gray Eyes


So we did it – we got up this morning and worked out. I woke up at 5:30 and confused the heck out of Cashmere, my bunny, who wasn’t sure if she should beg for her morning treat or just go back to sleep. (I tried not to turn lights on, but she woke up anyway.) I did give her a treat but told her that the banana would have to wait until I got back. (Every morning we split a banana… not equally.) Richard Bonomo picked me up at a quarter to six, and we headed to the health club and began our workout, unsure if Luxuli and her husband were actually going to wake up and join us. They did show up not long after we did, so we all did weight training together. There are entirely too many peppy people at the health club at that unreasonable hour, but they are for the most part not social, so they seemed surprised to see us traveling in a herd. I have to say that, while getting up is suffering, and working out with Rich is suffering, getting up and working out with Rich is just suffering, not suffering multiplied. It does seem like a proper mortification for Lent. I said my arms were going to fall off, and Rich said, “I cherish those blog posts you write after our workouts!” Or something like that – I was too out of it to be able to quote him exactly.

Luxuli says my gray sweatsuit looks so flattering on me, so I said, “It’s because it matches my eyes. Actually, I don’t know what color my eyes are. Some people say gray, some people say blue, and some people say green.” So Rich looked me right in the eyes and said, “They’re steel gray.” Luxuli said, “They’re dove gray,” and I thought “dove gray eyes” sounded so poetic that it would make a good blog post title.

Rich is being very organized about the workout; he sent an email later this morning that included his vision for our workouts: “I suggest that all of you simply go to the health club at 6 AM M-F.  When I can't be there at that time (usually Tuesdays and Fridays, and, next week, Wednesday March 12 because of a prior commitment), Luxuli's husband can be the DI*. Saturday and Sunday should be reserved for other activities, including letting the body recuperate.

Let's try to discuss exercise strategies this weekend. For the moment, I suggest:
M,W:  light strength training, F: max (for us) strength training,
recupe over weekend
T, R: warm-up and relatively intense aerobics of various sorts
(including multi-rep light-weight weight work).”

I already thought he was putting way too much thought into this when he sent a second email:

“I would think that if we want to concentrate on "fat burning" for the next few weeks, vigorous (I mean VIGOROUS) aerobics 3 days a week might be the way to go.  The cross-training machines (with the arm handles and elliptical foot pedals) might have a "fat-burn" program -- the ones at the Shell do. Doing the mat, Roman chair, and pull-up/chin-up exercises and then spending the remaining time on the cross-training machines might be the way to go tomorrow.”

This is probably because when he asked me what I wanted to do tomorrow, since he could not be there, I replied, “Sleep.” Hey, you ask a simple question, you get a simple answer. 

* I don't know what he means by DI either, but clearly it has to be a male.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

"DI" means "Drill Instructor." Oh, how I pity those of my friends who did not grow up on U.S. Marine Corps bases, as I did.

Famous Hat said...

I grew up in the 'hood. Different kind of tough altogether.