Friday, March 21, 2014

Yet Another Exercise Post


During our morning workouts, Richard Bonomo is always telling me to try harder. If I do fifteen pushups, he says, “One more for the Corps!” At first I thought he meant one more for my core, since working the core muscles is the big thing these days, but then I realized he meant the Marines. And when it comes to the elliptical machine, he is forever telling me to set it higher. It has three settings: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Then within each setting you can choose a level between 1 and 20. Being a wimp, I was using the Beginner setting and Level 5. On Wednesday Rich told me to do the Intermediate setting at Level 7, so I did. It was a little worse than my usual workout, but not much. This morning I did the Intermediate setting at Level 10, and this time my workout was nearly impossible. I was going a lot more slowly, averaging 82 steps per minute as opposed to my usual 92, and down to 62 per minute on the really difficult stretches, so imagine my surprise when I got done and it said I had gone an average speed of 2.2 miles per hour instead of 1.5 like usual.  Here’s the thing – once I got done with that awful workout, I felt GREAT, much better than after my formerly wimpy workouts. Maybe next week I will brave Level 12, or even the Advanced setting. Of course, I say this now. Let’s see how I actually feel about it on Monday morning…

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Me the wuss always does the elliptical on level 12 and advanced setting, so there :-)

Famous Hat said...

I'm working my way up to it...