Tuesday, March 25, 2014

New Office Plant


This morning Handy Woman had left a jade plant in my office for me. Now some people may say I have a green thumb, but jade plants are a completely different matter. They are supposed to be so easy to grow, yet I have always managed to kill them. Mr. N’Awlins has (or had at one point) a giant jade plant that was practically a tree, and it was so happy that it would actually bloom. Not that jade plant flowers are anything that spectacular, but I’m just saying, contrast that with my experiences. Years ago I had a crazy neighbor (she always used my phone because hers was “bugged”) who suddenly ran off to Seattle, leaving me her plants. One was an organ pipe jade plant, and I had it for a few years, when it even seemed happy and grew bigger, but then when I moved to my condo, it slowly died. Maybe this was back in the days before Plant World; I can’t remember now how long ago it’s been. Some leaves had fallen off of it and started to grow baby plants, but even those are long gone. Want to take bets on how long it will be before I kill this jade plant? Unless, for some reason, it likes my office. The cyclamen Travalon gave me for our one-year anniversary has been growing happily in my office window, getting larger and blooming continuously, but a cyclamen is (obviously) not a jade plant. Only time will tell if this jade plant will meet the same fate as every other one I have ever owned.

Famous Hat

4 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Give yourself til May 10th to kill it and then you can go safely on your honeymoon knowing that you dont have to ask anyone to water it :-)

Famous Hat said...

In that case, I'd have to kill all three of my work plants.

Hardingfele said...

You will be super proud of me. While walking the halls today, there was a giant fern with a sign that said rescue me, I need a good home. So it is now on our windowsill at work. It is beautiful. I guess I am a failed foster for cats and plants

Famous Hat said...

If they tell you to get rid of it, I might be able to take it. It can be buddies with the large fern I rescued from church.