Monday, March 31, 2014

Pie AND Cake!


Friday night Travalon and I went to Brocach for dinner, and then we went to the Newport Jazz Festival show, where we sat next to the local harpsichordist and his wife. I asked him how to identify if a tune was in the Locrian mode, and he said there would be a lot of tritones, so now you know. I believe at least one tune we heard was in the oft-reviled Locrian mode. Our favorite was the encore, which was a hot Latin-tinged number called “Cuba/New Orleans.” However, there wasn’t really any New Orleans-style jazz that night, and more’s the pity. That’s the stuff Travalon and I really love.

Saturday morning Travalon, Light Bright, and I met with a florist who had perfect reviews on Yelp, and she understood exactly what I wanted. So far I’d give her a perfect score too, but she hasn’t sent me a quote yet, so I have no idea how painful this will be. We’re not being too extravagant, and Ma Hat has generously given me money toward this particular wedding expense, so it shouldn’t be too bad… Then Tiffy came to visit, and she, Travalon, Richard Bonomo, and I went to Inka Heritage for lunch because we just love that restaurant. Then we picked up Kathbert and looked at yet another house, as well as the second one Travalon and I had liked. Kathbert said that was a good house, and she could understand our dilemma, but she really thought the first house we liked was the best one for us. It was a lovely day out, so we walked around in the neighborhood to get some idea what it would be like. In the evening, Tiffy and I introduced Rich to the wonders of The Chocolaterian, and he enjoyed the introduction thoroughly.

Yesterday we celebrated the birthdays of Luxuli and Miss Heartsong. Luxuli requested chocolate cake while Miss Heartsong requested apple pie, so Rich was busily trying to make both desserts and dinner as well. I peeled the apples for him while Tiffy and I chatted. A three-year-old came to the party and was very cute, especially when his father said, “Let’s pray for the birthday girls,” and he said, “No, I don’t feel like it.” Cecil Markovitch brought vanilla ice cream, which goes perfectly with both chocolate cake and apple pie. We all had to try some of each! Luxuli and I said, “It's OK, we’re working out tomorrow morning,” but this morning, hmm, no Luxuli…

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I guess the early morning exercise torment session is warranted considering all the food that is being consumed :-)

Famous Hat said...

Hardingfele, ladies and gentlemen! Isn't she hilarious? She's coming soon to an open mic near you!