Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Martin Luther King Day


Friday night the Rosary Ladies had a fish fry at Nick’s restaurant, then we went out dancing at the Monona Terrace. The band played funk and disco, and when they played ABBA, I was a little thrown by the less syncopated beat. I said, “This music is too white! I don’t know how to dance to it!” and Luxuli advised, “Reach down into that 99% of yourself and feel it!” We danced for way over an hour and then were kind of sore limping back to Luxuli’s condo. That’s what happens when you’re middle-aged and try to dance like a twentysomething.

Saturday Tiffy came up, and she and Richard Bonomo took me to Liliana’s for a late birthday dinner. (Travalon went to watch high school basketball.) I got a free order of beignets for my birth month, and there were three, but Tiffy is taking her New Year’s resolution to not eat dessert seriously, so Rich and I split hers. There was a live jazz duo playing, so it really felt like a night on the town for a second night in a row. Don’t worry, I didn’t neglect my husband – we had spent the rest of the day together.

Sunday Tiffy, Travalon, and I joined the choir for brunch at the Come Back In, then we went to the dog park for a little bit before the game. Oh, that game! We couldn’t believe how well the Packers were doing… and then they just fell apart at the end. So sad, they would have been in the Super Bowl. I heard today that tickets to the Super Bowl are cheaper this year because everyone’s sick of New England and Seattle being in it. In the evening, Rich, Cecil Markovitch, OK Cap, Travalon, and I joined Trinidad Cap for his birthday at Bellitalia. This was planned very last minute, and the birthday boy was late because he thought we were meeting at Cecil’s house but Cecil had said let’s meet at Trinidad Cap’s house. It all worked out in the end, and he got a free tira misu with a candle in it for his birthday.

Yesterday I had the day off for Martin Luther King Day, so after my adoration hour I met Rich at the Capitol for the commemoration. Lots of music, like a gospel choir and a junior mariachi band, and several speakers we couldn’t hear clearly, but one little boy who looked about nine read Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech very clearly. We could understand every word. He should give lessons to the other speakers! I also went shopping for pants and spent a lot of time working on Christmas cards, getting a batch in the mail today, so some of you may get one as early as tomorrow.

Famous Hat

No comments: