Friday, June 12, 2015

Strength Training Without Mercy


Last night I experienced Strength Training Without Mercy (STWoM, pronounced “storm”) for the first time. Richard Bonomo, Luxuli, and I went to the health club much earlier than our usual time, so Rich figured we had time to do STWoM. It involves what he calls “pyramid” lifting, where you do one set of lifts on a machine at a weight you can lift about twelve times, then taking a break (on another machine – you don’t get to just sit there), coming back and doing a weight you can lift about eight times, taking another break, and lifting a weight you can do maybe three times. I got done well before the other two because apparently I lift too quickly. You are supposed to do it slowly to prolong the agony, but I’ll admit I just want to get it over with. Besides, it was agonizing enough. My arms really hurt, and today Travalon needed me to help him carry something heavy, but I was no use at all, so he had to do it alone. On the plus side, maybe all this lifting is making me lose weight, because I am down about four pounds. We also did wind sprints after lifting, but those I kind of enjoy. Running is much more fun than lifting.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

Indeed! Strength training with NO mercy, and in slow motion! SLOW exercise and SLOW eating! Mwahahaha...

Famous Hat said...

I don't have the patience for slowing down - maybe that's why I like wind sprints!