Monday, June 3, 2019

Hummingbirds and Cranes



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Thursday evening Travalon and I made catfish as a joint project, and it turned out really well. We also had some of the squid ink pasta we bought in Galena (we also bought dark chocolate pasta), and that was delicious too. Friday we wanted to have fish again, but we didn’t want to go through all the work of cooking it , so we just walked over to Mariner’s. They told us it would be a wait for a table outside, so I said I didn’t mind sitting inside, since there was some talk about rain coming. However, the evening was clear so then I regretted not waiting for an outside table. After dinner we hung out on the dock, and we also met our new neighbor: the lady who owns Fired Up! She gave us a tour of her condo, which is much larger and fancier than ours.

Saturday Travalon and I met Jilly Moose, Rich, and OK Cap for coffee, then we ladies prayed a rosary while Travalon went shopping on State Street. He bought a Spider-Man comic book. I really wanted to go to my garden plot, but it kept raining a bit on and off, so Travalon and I went to the plant store to buy a trowel (because the community garden has “all the tools you need,” but it does not have trowels, which is the one thing I need) and a hummingbird feeder. We went home and hooked it up, and later in the afternoon we went to the antique store because Travalon loves going there, and because I needed something for planting a rescue fern. It was at work in a cheap plastic Halloween bowl, and I found a beautiful bowl that would work better, but it was over $100! So we went to St. Vinny’s and I found a bowl with a pedestal for under $3. It is prettier anyway. Then we hung out on the Union Terrace for the rest of the evening. We do like road tripping, but there is something to be said for a quiet weekend just hanging out in town, especially when the weather is warm. We did get trapped inside for a bit when more rain came, but it was brief and then there was a lovely sunset. I will post photos soon.

So for some weird reason our neighbors the cranes have started pecking on cars that are parked outside, and when Travalon and I headed to Mass yesterday morning, we saw our neighbor bravely shooing a crane away from a car. After brunch at Crema CafĂ© (where we sat outside), we went to my garden plot, and Travalon helped a lot with weeding while I planted some more stuff. Afterwards we sat out on our balcony, and a hummingbird kept coming to our new feeder. Then Rich came over and looked at the boat lift we bought from a neighbor, but like us he was unsure why it didn’t seem to be working. Then he saw one crane pecking Travalon’s car and made a short movie. I couldn’t get into the car, since the crane was on the passenger side, and it is about as tall as I am, but Travalon got in and honked the horn. The crane didn’t care, so I suggested backing up slowly, but the crane just walked alongside the car, pecking at it. “What do I do now?” Travalon wondered, so I suggested backing up a little faster, and then the crane did finally wander off. We went to Rich’s house, where I planted a bunch of tulip bulbs I had rescued from the Botany garden and around the carillon – can you believe they compost them and plant new ones every year? Why don’t they save them? Travalon and I played a round of miniature golf with Hockey Girl, and I sustained an extremely minor arm injury, i.e., I skinned my elbow sliding down a slide with a rough edge. Otherwise it was really fun. Rich, Travalon, and I had dinner at Famous Dave’s to top off a mellow weekend in Madtown.

Famous Hat


No comments: