Thursday, June 13, 2019

Paul McCartney and My Visiting Relatives



Sorry for my silence this week. I have been very busy entertaining my aunt and uncle, who were visiting from Denver. Here is a recap of their visit, and my weekend before that:

Saturday morning Travalon and I went to campus so he could take pictures of the blooming tulip trees with his good camera, then we got on the road to Green Bay, stopping for lunch at Gilles Drive In in Fond du Lac. We were going to take a walk there, but they were having Walleye Weekend and the place was packed. We went to Mass at St. Willobrod, the church where Lombardi used to go, and they sang the Pentecost sequence to the tune of “Ode to Joy,” which I didn’t really enjoy. We got way more than enough steps just from parking blocks away from Lambeau Field, finding a pizza place for dinner inside Lambeau, getting to our seats, and of course walking back to the car. We saw Paul McCartney, who had played in Madison two days earlier, but Travalon found the ticket prices in Green Bay were so much cheaper that, even with gas and one night in a hotel, we came out ahead. The show was excellent; I had seen Sir Paul on TV and still photos many times, of course, but in real life he does have a cuteness about him even in his 70’s so that I could see why teenage girls used to scream over him. I was most impressed when he played not only the bass and piano but the mandolin and ukulele too. A musician after my own heart! He did a mix of Beatles and Wings stuff with songs from his new album, but he completely ignored his minor hits from the 80’s, which is the stuff from my formative years. On the way to our hotel after the concert, we found ourselves behind a stretch limo that turned off for the exit to the swankiest hotel in the state. Wonder if that was him?

Sunday morning I slept really late while Travalon checked out the hotel pool, then we went to a coffee place called Brewed Awakening right near where Sir Paul may have stayed, but we saw no sign of him. We met my relatives at Newport Shores, the seafood restaurant on the water in Port Washington. After lunch we walked over to a nearby brewpub that their friend had opened in the old American Legion building called Inventors, and we had two flights of their beers served in little model airplane-shaped trays. The salt and pepper shakers look like lightbulbs. Then my aunt and uncle followed us to their hotel in Madison, which they had thought was on the northeast side of town but which was actually on the southeast side. We took meandering back roads, and they were tired, so we thought of what was nearby for dinner. Then it occurred to me – of course! Waypoint with the fantastic patio overlooking the water! It isn’t a brewpub, but it has a lot of microbrews on tap. They really enjoyed it there.

Monday Travalon had to work, but I met my aunt and uncle for brunch at the Union Terrace. Only we had missed breakfast food by four minutes, so we had to order lunch food… at 10:34 am?? I was all excited to order a giant pretzel, since we had enough people, but then they were out of them and didn’t tell me, instead giving us three regular pretzels. It was also a bit cold and windy, so we sat inside, but they did enjoy the beauty of the Terrace, overlooking Lake Mendota, and Travalon was able to join us for a couple of hours. My aunt has some mobility issues, so I was thinking how I could give them a tour of the campus where she wouldn’t have to walk. I was lamenting that we couldn’t take the trolley bus tour that the new employees get to take, and then it occurred to me – of course! The free bus that goes all over campus! So we rode that in a big loop as I told them all about what we were seeing. Their favorite part was the graduate student housing back in the nature preserve. Then we went to Next Door Brewing because they remembered the beer pie so fondly, and we sat out on the patio (there wasn’t as much wind as on the Union Terrace) and had a flight of all their beers on tap, some eggplant fries, and of course the beer pie. It was just as good as they had remembered! Travalon joined us after work, and we ended up having dinner there too, and just hanging out on the patio until they had to close it.

Tuesday I brought my mandolin to my aunt and uncle’s hotel, and I played it a little while my uncle played the flute. Then we went to Crema CafĂ© for breakfast, since they also remembered that fondly, and we sat outside enjoying the view of Lake Monona. We went to Olbrich Gardens, and my aunt was delighted to find out they would loan her a motor scooter for free so that she could get around the whole garden. We explored all the outdoor gardens, then we went into the conservatory, and Travalon found us there. The four of us went to the Monona Terrace for lunch, and my relatives loved that too. We couldn’t see the bad weather brewing from where we were sitting, but once we rounded the corner to find the tile I had given to Travalon for our anniversary, we could see the dark clouds rolling in. We got to our cars just in time, and Travalon headed back to work while the rest of us drove through the rain to see the optical illusion on O’Sheridan Road of the Capitol seeming to get smaller as you drive towards it. We drove through the Arboretum (but didn’t get out since it was so wet out), and then we went to Infusions Chocolate for some bonbons and iced Mayan hot chocolate and chai. So good! We met Travalon at Funk Factory, which my relatives really enjoyed, and then we went to Ale Asylum for dinner and more beer. We saw a lot of weird fighter jets flying around – I wonder what that is about? Are they prepping for war?

Yesterday Travalon had really thought he would get the day off, but they told him he had to attend all-day training, so we drove to New Glarus without him. We sampled beers, got stuff at the gift shop (I got Travalon a baseball cap as a consolation prize), and bought some beer to take home. We had lunch at an adorable and very delicious restaurant in Paoli called the School House, then we went to the Chocolaterian for chocolate treats. We met Travalon at Bos Meadery and had three flights of mead, so that we got to try every flavor on tap, and then we went to Banzo for a nice light Mideastern dinner after all that eating and drinking for the last few days. Now I am back to the workaday world, and my aunt and uncle are on their way to see my parents. They love to take back roads, so we suggested Highway 60 as a very scenic option, and that is the way they went. I would recommend this road to anyone heading west of Madison. It is so pretty.

Famous Hat


No comments: