Monday, June 17, 2019

Stolen Strawberry and Moving Photo



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Mine started Friday evening with a gig at the retirement community where one of our fiddlers lives, and we had a large crowd to listen to us in the courtyard. At one point a weird bug that looked just like a cicada but was only the size of a leafhopper landed on my mandolin, and I couldn’t blow it off. It wasn’t in my way, so I just ignored it, and eventually it flew away. (My longtime readers may remember that we also had a problem with a frog hopping across the stage at this venue some years ago.) Our band was a big hit, and as always I got a lot of questions about the mandolin afterwards. Then Travalon and I went to the Kingdom for a late, light dinner.

Saturday Travalon and I met Rich and Tiffy for coffee, then we all walked around the Farmers’ Market and had lunch at the Globe. Rich had to mow his lawn, but the rest of us got bubble tea and then sat out on the deck on the seventh floor of Tiffy’s sister’s apartment building, because the thirteenth floor deck was being used for a wedding. Tiffy was busy with family in the evening, so late in the afternoon Travalon and I went to my garden plot, where a radish was ripe but the strawberry that should have been ripe was missing. Someone stole my strawberry! Just then I heard the horn blow that warns boats they have an hour until sunset, but it is always bad news when you hear it that early in the day. I ran back to the car as it sounded two more times, and we rushed home and prepared for the storm… but it never hit. We sat listening to 1920’s jazz until venturing out to the Union to hear Latin jazz. They had moved the band inside as a precaution, but no bad weather ever hit.

Yesterday after Mass, Travalon, Tiffy, and I went to Crema CafĂ© for brunch, then we went to CocoVaa for chocolate. I went back to the garden plot, and two strawberries and five radishes were ripe, so I ate the strawberries and brought the radishes to Rich’s house. Travalon went to a concert with his nephew, so I hung out with Rich and Kathbert, and we blatted. My uncle sent a photo of himself, my aunt, and my parents, and Kathbert got Pa Hat to nod in the photo, so that intrigued us. Supposedly my phone can also take photos like this, but we never figured out how. We had a deep conversation about how the universe is a system, and I think I have finally figured out my place in it. But that would be a whole blog post on its own. If I can get my swirling ideas into coherent sentences, I will blog about that soon.

Famous Hat

No comments: