Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Corn Maze Failure



I hope that my readers had a good weekend. Sorry that I didn’t blog yesterday, but I had a meeting after work, and then because of the rain I hadn’t taken a lunchtime walk, so I had to somehow get most of my daily steps during my foreshortened evening. Travalon is still sick, so Friday evening we had a quiet evening, going to Cherokee Country Club for fish and then just staying in. I do love their Puttin’ on the Ritz fish, which is cod encrusted with Ritz crackers on a bed of broccoli slaw. So tasty!

Saturday Tiffy came to town, and we had been planning to do the corn maze, but it was raining so Travalon just took us on a drive along Highway 60 to see the fall colors. We stopped in Spring Green to go to the bookstore, where there was an author signing. The book was a biography of Frank Lloyd Wrong, and the author was very popular – tons of people were there. I got a book on the classics, abridged (my favorite was Ethan Frome: “Can a farmer’s life get any worse? Hey look – a sled!”) and a collection of articles from the website “I F—king Love Science” about really fascinating facts. In the evening Tiffy and I went to a Baroque music concert that featured three women singing Monteverdi and a woman composer I had not heard of before, and offhand I can’t remember her name, other than that her first name was Francesca. 

Sunday Rosa Peligrosa was in town briefly, so we joined her for brunch. She has known Tiffy even longer than I have, because she used to be roommates with Tiffy’s college friend. She is as entertaining as ever; when going off on a conversational tangent, she announced it by saying, “And now, a commercial break!” Still, nothing beats the time she called the Single B-Boy (Happy Birthday yesterday!) to ask if he would fly her, me, and Anna Banana II to St. Louis in his small plane, and she started the conversation by saying, “Forgive me for being so bold, but there is no taxation on dreaming!” As far as I can tell, these are not actual expressions in her native language of Spanish but just her own colorful idioms. After brunch Tiffy, Travalon, and I did the corn maze, but it was so muddy and the footing was so treacherous that we gave up after finding only half the punches. No Maze Master pens for us this year! I think this may be the first time we have ever failed. After Tiffy had left for home, Travalon and I took a long boat ride back into Six Mile Creek, which was really beautiful. I’ll try to post some photos soon. This is why we leave the boat in the water so long: some of our best rides have been in October, because the weeds are all dead so we can get into interesting places that are inaccessible at the height of summer. I would say this was another amazing October boat ride.

Famous Hat



No comments: