Tuesday, October 8, 2019

PSA: Get Your Flu Shot!



Today was bookended by seeing two previous coworkers from the press. In the morning I took an early bus to work so I could get free breakfast provided by the alumni association, and that was where I ran into one old coworker. She did not know about free breakfast, so she had already eaten, but she came with me and got some coffee. When she saw they had little yogurts, she took one of those for later. I had to rush off to a meeting because I had somewhat insanely volunteered to take minutes, so we said our goodbyes. Then at the end of the workday I went to a campus benefits fair, mostly because the different vendors give out swag like pens and sunglasses and travel toothbrushes that come with their own tiny tubes of toothpaste. I ran into several people I knew at the fair, including one person working at a table who was delighted to let me spell him while he took a much-needed break. As I was walking back from the fair, I ran into another coworker from the press, who was heading to the fair for his flu shot and maybe the cover you can put on cell phones that will hold credit cards. I told him I hadn’t seen any of those, but this late in the day things were pretty picked over. I also forewarned him that a few days after my flu shot I developed a cold, and then a few days after his flu shot, so did Travalon. Coincidence, or is this year’s batch of flu vaccine so potent that it induces a mild flu? Consider yourself warned, as my former coworker was. He decided it was worth the risk, and it totally is. A mild cold that makes you miss a weekend is nothing compared to the flu, because that will make you miss at least a week of your life and wonder if this misery will ever end. Since it sometimes does end because the victim died, I would also tell my readers to get a flu shot. It’s worth suffering a mild cold not to die!

Famous Hat

No comments: