Monday, October 14, 2019

Travalon's High School Reunion



I hope my readers had a good weekend. I had very little energy, so on Friday night Travalon (that prince among men) got fish takeout from Mariner’s. Saturday we met Jilly Moose and OK Cap at the new coffee place in Garver Mill, and I thought the coffee had a burned taste. Some people like that, so maybe they were going for that flavor, but they roast their own beans, so maybe it was an accident. I’ll have to give them another try sometime… I did notice someone else put their entire undrunk latte in the bus bin, so clearly they REALLY did not like it. Then I was supposed to play at Eplegaarden, but I never saw the email canceling the gig, even though I was obsessively looking for it. (I knew it was a possibility due to low temperatures.) Who knows where emails sometimes go on their cyber-vacations? We went to Rich’s house, and he told us he once got yelled at for not responding to an email, and then a week later the email in question popped into his inbox. In the evening Travalon and I went to his class reunion at a park pavilion in Pewaukee (say that five times fast!), and people were friendly to me, but they didn’t really know me so I ended up talking to the very nice wife of one of Travalon’s classmates. We actually went to each other’s weddings but hadn’t seen each other in years. Then Travalon and I went to China Lights in Milwaukee, and they were beautiful. I will post some photos soon.

Yesterday I overslept and couldn’t get to my parish for Mass, so we went to Westport. People there are just not friendly at all; for example, the Knights of Columbus were trying to recruit men, and they didn’t even ask Travalon if he was interested. Why, because we don’t go there every week? We went to the Chocolaterian for brunch but discovered to our horror that they had closed, so we went to Common Ground and then drove out to Sauk to see eagles, since it was so cold. No eagles, but plenty of seagulls. Then we went to Devil’s Lake and looked around a little bit, but I was still wearing Mass clothes and was too cold to hike, so we took the Merrimac ferry back home, changed, and took a hike at Holy Wisdom Monastery. In the evening there was a compline service at the Lutheran church where I used to sing, but we got going too late, so we just got some ice cream. I went to bed really early – for me – but didn’t particularly have any easier of a time getting up this morning when my alarm went off at 6 am. Remember, thanks to the wonders of Daylight Saving Time, it’s really 5 am and totally dark. Sigh…

Famous Hat


No comments: