Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Starship Delivery and Scary Deer



An update on the Starship robots: today I went for a walk at lunch and ran into my buddy from Congress, and she told me they are delivering food to undergrads from the campus cafeterias. Remember when we had to walk everywhere in college? Now the students have free buses to take them up those pesky hills and robots to save them from the long walk to the cafeteria. How do they ever get any exercise? The robots are very cute, though. When one was approaching us, and I said how cute it was, it kind of reared up a little as if it was begging for attention. I suppose the fact that they are about the size and speed of cocker spaniels makes me see them like dogs on wheels.

Last night as I was coming home, I slowed while approaching a stretch of road where there are often deer. Sure enough, one was just leaping gracefully across the road, and a young buck was waiting on the side. I stopped to wait in case he was going to follow the first deer, but he just looked at me. Then I did the most logical thing: I spoke from behind closed windows to a creature that doesn’t understand English. “Go or don’t go!” I told him. He continued to stand there, so I slowly started up again, and then he began to run alongside my car. I was terrified he was going to suddenly jump in front of my car, or into the side of it, so I stopped again, and then he ran off in the other direction. Whew! Who knows? Maybe the first deer was a young doe who was trying to escape his amorous pursuits, so she was relieved as well. Or maybe they were buddies, in which case let’s hope they met up again.

Famous Hat


No comments: