Friday, June 12, 2020

Hummingbird Visit


Speaking of hummingbirds, tonight Travalon and I had an extraordinary experience. He was tired of cooking (since he has been doing all of the cooking since being on furlough), so he had gone off to get us a fish fry. I was sitting on our porch, praying a rosary, when I noticed a hummingbird flitting around, probably the same one we often see. It didn't stop at our hummingbird feeder, but it perched in a branch, and it stayed there for longer than I have ever seen any bird stay put in one place, never mind a hummingbird. My good camera was sitting on the table on our porch, so I interrupted my rosary to take a picture and then went back to praying. Travalon returned with dinner and the hummingbird was still there, so I asked if he could take a picture with his good camera. He couldn't spot the little bird, so he handed me his camera, and I got a couple of good shots:



Then he did catch sight of the tiny bird, so he took some pictures. Here is his best shot of it.


It sat in the branch, seemingly watching us, as we ate dinner, and only flew away when I plugged in my computer in preparation for my weekly video chat with Tiffy. I felt so lucky to be graced with its presence like that. What I don't know is why it didn't go to our feeder. Maybe I should get rid of the sugar water that came with it and replace it with the red juice sold for hummingbird feeders. We also have orioles in our neighborhood, so I'd like to put up an oriole feeder too. We wouldn't have to go very far at all to get some beautiful shots of birds!

Famous Hat

No comments: